Friday, October 21, 2005

The question of hope

It seems that once a week seems to be my average blog ratio so you guys will have to forgive me until I get my design done. However have had fun this week meeting up with people at random times -like this morning I had stayed at my sister's and my ph had died so I didn't get a txt asking if I wanted a mid-run visit from Jess, however she ran past miri's place while we were sitting on the balcony so I still got to catch -up and go round to her place for my first breakfast (had 3) of the day.
Miri had her last exam ever yesterday arvo so went round to her place to help celebrate. Had some fun, met some more of her friends and had a really interesting conversation with one friend that we have known since we were kids. Out of the Christian families we grew up with I am one of the few kids who kept their faith after they left home so I guess I was the most convenient and safe person to ask about the big questions over a whiskey and coke. How could I still believe when I have done science and genetics, and learnt all those things they teach you that don't really fit with what most Christians believe. Religion vs. Faith. It really made me think, I mean I know what I believe but somewhere in my analytical make-up I managed to just believe. I mean I have had things happen that test that belief and things that reinforce, but essentially I just choose to believe to accept the hope and purpose that goes with it -because otherwise I don't think I would have survived my life. But the problem is how do you put that into words that can be understood and acted on by someone who has be brought up with the rules and religion (and parents who believe) but seen so many families fall apart, to someone who has accepted the science that goes against belief, To someone who lives in that environment of the searching, who needs a reason to turn their back on the only life they now know, a life I have never understood? To someone who needs facts and logical arguments but still sees religion as empty and faith the real thing. Maybe our philosophical lawyer has a suggestion?